Saturday, November 1, 2014

What I Learned about LOVE from the Movies: "While You Were Sleeping"



I'll admit that I'm an absolute sucker for a good romantic comedy like "While You Were Sleeping." It's not just a "story about love at second sight" -- try third, forth, fifth, and so on... I fall in love with Bill Pullman all over again every time I see this movie. It's like... It's like... the most potent form of self-injury imaginable. 

I bet you thought I was going to say something sweeter than that... I might have, but I'm helplessly honest. You get the truth here. Nobody likes to admit it, but we don't really watch these flicks because they make us feel good or hopeful or anything like that. We watch them because they remind us we're alive. I mean, what reminds you you're alive more than pain? And when I look at the Pullman/Bullock chemistry on screen in this fairy tale, I want what they have so badly my heart nearly explodes. Right before it sinks, deflated, right back into the clutches of reality. The emotional rollercoaster boosts adrenaline and we try to ignore the lows, just to briefly feel the highs.

I'm embarking on a series of reflections on Looking for Love Lessons in Cinematic Tutelage. Each post will deal with a different movie, and will extract the love lessons embedded in the story. (Speaking of which, I'd like to be embedded, but that's another story...)

Without further ado, here's what we can learn about dating and mating and love from the story, "While You Were Sleeping":
  • If you're going to fall in love with someone who is not available, make sure he has a brother who is available and that you live in a climate in which wearing your deceased father's winter coat as a security blanket doesn't make you look like a bag lady on Venice Beach.
  • If you ignore these details, you may wake up one day (from a heatstroke-induced coma) to his runaway dog licking your face and tugging at your tattered coat to get the crumbs from your pocket, as handsome Kens skip by hand-in-hand with their bikini-clad Barbies, not even noticing you are there.



No comments:

Post a Comment